Unattended charcoal grill sparked Kill Devil Hills fire that claimed lives of mom, son

Ravann and Sebi

Kill Devil Hills officials say an unattended charcoal grill is to blame for the May 17 apartment fire that claimed the lives of Ann Rachell Horton, 39, and her 9-year-old son, Sebastian Lopez.

The origin of the early-morning fire on Pine Grove Trail was determined to have started on the wooden deck on the ground floor of Apartment B, the town said in a news release. The cause of the fire was an unattended charcoal cooking grill that was close to the combustibles on the deck. The fire is deemed to be accidental.

“The Kill Devil Hills Fire Department extends its condolences to the family, friends and our community for the loss of Ravann and Sebi,” the release said.

Ravann was a well known music promoter on the Outer Banks and her son attended Nags Head Elementary School.

“No words for the sudden loss of two vibrant, kind, inseparable beings,” said OBX Cares, a nonprofit hosting an annual Earth Day event at Outer Banks Brewing Station, where Ravann did most of her work. “Ravann and Sebi were a part of the Soul of our Beach.”

Kill Devil Hills police Sgt. Rodney Rawls, leaves a memento at the fire scene. [Town of Kill Devil Hills photo]

This story originally appeared on OBXToday.com. Read More local stories here.