Candle to blame for Kill Devil Hills house fire that injured one person

A candle in a bedroom caused a small fire that slightly injured one person Wednesday night in Kill Devil Hills.

Crews were called to the 2000 block of Hampton Street at 11:03 p.m., according to Fire Marshal John Risoldi, Sr..

“The smoke alarms alerted the occupants that there was a fire, and their quick action provided minimal damage,” Risoldi said.

The fire was extinguished by one of the occupants, and damage was contained to the bedroom.

Risoldi determined that the fire was caused by a lit candle that was too close to a tapestry that was hanging on the wall in the bedroom, and deemed to be accidental.

“The Kill Devil Hills Fire Department reminds everyone to practice fire safety when burning candles,” Risoldi said.

“Make sure candles are in non-combustible containers and kept far enough away from combustible materials. Do not leave the candles unattended,” Risoldi added.

This story originally appeared on OBXToday.com. Read More local stories here.