The National Park Service’s Interior Region 2 recently approved a Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI) for the General Management Plan Amendment and Environmental Assessment (EA) for Wright Brothers National Memorial.
A public review and comment period helped guide the development of the amendment to the 1997 General Management Plan. The approved amendment includes the following actions:
- Redesign the visitor center parking area;
- Create new trails and a multi-use path;
- Add new benches, shade structures, and interpretive waysides through the park;
- Construct a new sheltered open-air interpretive/educational pavilion;
- Conduct vegetation thinning and screening to improve views throughout the park;
- Install recreational vehicle sites for park staff, volunteers or administrative use;
- Repurpose the partner facility to provide adequate administration space; and
- Continue plans to partner with the town of Kill Devil Hills.
This story originally appeared on OBXToday.com. Read More local stories here.