With Christmas Day and New Year’s Day falling on a Friday this year, there are a few shifts in the days off for local and state government offices in North Carolina.
The official state government holiday for Christmas is observed on Thursday Dec. 24, Friday Dec. 25 and Monday Dec. 28. Just New Years Day is an official state holiday.
Local governments in northeastern North Carolina will observe a slightly different schedule, however, with a number closing on Wednesday, Dec. 23 and reopening on Dec. 28.
Dare County Public Works, which provides trash collection for the unincorporated areas of the county as well as the Town of Kitty Hawk, has announced its revised collection schedule in observance of the 2020 Christmas holiday, as follows.
Christmas Week (Dec. 21-25):
There will be one residential pickup per area the week of Christmas, which runs from Monday, Dec. 21 through Friday, Dec. 25.
Residential trash collection for the week of Dec. 21 through Dec. 25 will be as follows:
Monday, Dec. 21: Kitty Hawk, Colington, Buxton, Frisco and Hatteras
Tuesday, Dec. 22: Manteo, Wanchese, Manns Harbor, East Lake, Stumpy Point, Rodanthe, Waves, Salvo and Avon
Wednesday, Dec. 23: NO RESIDENTIAL COLLECTION
Thursday, Dec. 24: CLOSED, NO TRASH COLLECTION
Friday, Dec. 25: CLOSED, NO TRASH COLLECTION – Merry Christmas!
Commercial trash collection will take place on Monday, Dec. 21 and Wednesday, Dec. 23.
The Dare County C&D Landfill, Buxton Transfer Station and Manteo Recycle Yard will be closed on Dec. 24, Dec. 25 and Dec. 26 in observance of the Christmas holiday.
In addition, all Dare County offices will be closed on Thursday, Dec. 24, 2020; Friday, Dec. 25, 2020; and Monday, Dec. 28, 2020, in observance of Christmas.
Dare County offices will reopen at 8:30 a.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 29, 2020. For more information, visit www.DareNC.com.
The administrative office will be closed Thursday and Friday, December 24-25, 2020, in observance of the holiday. The office will also be closed on Friday, January 1, 2021.
Residential and commercial trash collection will remain unchanged over the holiday.
There will be an extra residential recycling collection on Monday, December 28, 2020. Please keep your recyclables loose in your can.
Stay tuned for Christmas tree recycling information!
Town Hall offices will be closed Wednesday Dec 23 through Friday, Dec. 25 and Friday, Jan. 1.
There will be no change to the Trash or Recycling collection schedules.
When your Christmas tree is ready to retire your tree can have a second life or greater purpose by acting as a natural sand fence while helping to build up sand dunes.
The wood and branches help with erosion control, and the nutrients are beneficial for the beach grass. Christmas trees may dropped off at the SSCA Hillcrest parking lot, where they will be collected for sand fencing/erosion control.
Christmas trees may also be placed in your limb/branch piles for collection during your scheduled sector. Wreaths are excluded and will not be collected.
All metal and decorations must be removed or the contractor will reject collection.
There will be one residential pick up the week of Christmas, taking place on Monday, December 21, 2020. Commercial pick up will be Monday, December 21 and Wednesday, December 23.
New Year’s Week, the Town of Kitty Hawk’s residential pick up will be Monday, December 28 and Wednesday, December 30th. Commercial pick up will be Monday, December 28 and Thursday, December 31.
Kill Devil Hills
The Town of Kill Devil Hills offices will be closed Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, December 23-25, 2020, in observance of the Christmas holiday, and Friday, January 1, 2021, for the New Year’s holiday.
During the holiday weeks, residential collection of recyclables by Bay Disposal will be made on normal recyclable collection days; Mondays for the East Side and Tuesdays for the West Side.
Town administrative offices will be closed Thursday, 12/24 through Monday, 12/28 and Friday, 1/1/2021.
December 21, 2020 – December 26, 2020
- Monday, 12/21 – There is no change to the residential or commercial trash collection schedules. The bulk/brush collection yard will be open.
- Tuesday, 12/22 – There is no change to the residential trash collection schedule. All commercial trash will be collected on 12/22 and not on 12/23.
- Wednesday, 12/23 – There will be no commercial trash collection.
- Thursday, 12/24 – The bulk/brush collection yard will be closed.
- Friday, 12/25 – The blue residential trash route and the commercial trash routes will be collected on 12/26 and not on 12/25.
- Saturday, 12/26 – All residential and commercial trash will be collected throughout the town. The bulk/brush collection yard will be open.
December 28, 2020 – January 2, 2021
- Monday, 12/28 – There is no change to the residential or commercial trash collection schedules. The bulk/brush collection yard will be open.
- Tuesday, 12/29 – There is no change to the residential trash collection schedule.
- Wednesday, 12/30 – There is no change to the commercial trash collection schedule.
- Thursday, 12/31 – The bulk/brush collection yard will be open.
- Friday, 1/1 – The blue residential trash route and the commercial trash routes will be collected on 1/2 and not on 1/1.
- Saturday, 1/2 – The blue residential trash route and all commercial trash will be collected. The bulk/brush collection yard will be open.
The Town of Manteo Administrative Offices will be closed on Wednesday, December 23, Thursday, December 24 and Friday, December 25 in observance of the Christmas holiday. Offices will also be closed on Friday, January 1, 2021 in observance of the New Year holiday.
All solid waste pickup will be done on Monday, December 21 and Wednesday, December 23.
Government offices will be closed December 24, 25, and 28 and January 1.
This story originally appeared on OBXToday.com. Read More local stories here.