HomeToGo, an international vacation rental search engine, recently released its summer 2021 travel forecast, and one Outer Banks locale ranks near the top of places people want to go.
The website’s study shows that most travelers in the U.S. are currently searching for domestic getaways for 2021, such as beach escapes and secluded mountain cabins. Corolla on the Currituck Outer Banks ranked number six in the top 10 most most luxurious summer destinations for 2021 based on HomeToGo customer searches.
The Hamptons in New York ranked number one, with Nantucket, Mass.; Montauk, New York; Seaside, Fla. and Avalon, N.J. rounding out the top five. Martha’s Vineyard, Mass.; Isle of Palms, S.C.; Beach Haven, N.J.; and Chatham, Mass., rounded out the rest of the top 10. Luxury, according to the study, is defined by cost per night. Corolla, HomeToGo says, will cost vacationers $657.60 per night.
The study also unveiled interesting booking patterns, showing a strong preference for domestic getaways this summer.
“Although the travel landscape is drastically different this year, travelers are longing for a change in scenery and looking to outdoor destinations to enjoy the warmer months ahead,” said Caroline Burns, Head of PR and Travel Expert at HomeToGo. “We’re already seeing an upward trend in summer bookings in the U.S., especially in areas along the East Coast that offer quiet escapes from their nearby city counterparts.”
Other findings in the study:
- Early Planning: Bookings for vacation rentals this summer in the U.S. are already up by +27% YoY.
- Travelers are Staying Stateside: 86% of summer travel searches are for domestic destinations (+15% YoY), with searches for spots on the East Coast seeing the biggest lift (+95% YoY).
- Rural Reigns over Urban: Only 12% of searches are for urban destinations (-35% YoY).
- Longer Road Trips: Travelers are willing to go the extra distance and searching for vacation rentals within 397 miles (+32% YoY) from home.
- Entire Properties Preferred Over Shared Spaces: Cabins, cottages and detached homes are the most popular accommodations option (bookings up +35% YoY).
This story originally appeared on OBXToday.com. Read More local stories here.