Bathroom fan to blame for report of smoke inside Moyock Elementary School

Moyock Elementary School [file photo]

A malfunctioning bathroom fan was to blame for a report of smoke inside Moyock Elementary School that delayed the start of classes Thursday morning.

Crews were dispatched to the school that is across Shingle Landing Road from the Moyock Fire Station around 7:30 a.m.

According to a post on the Currituck County Schools Facebook page, a fan in the ventilation system located in one of the bathrooms overheated and produced some minor smoke inside the school.

The fire department was dispatched to ensure the building was safe for staff and students, and the school day began a short time later without incident.

This story originally appeared on OBXToday.com. Read More local stories here.