Faulty smoke detector sets off fire alarm at Manteo High School

Manteo High School

Manteo High School was evacuated for a short time Thursday morning following activation of the school’s fire alarm system.

Crews from Roanoke Island Volunteer Fire Department responded to the school on Wingina Avenue in Manteo around 10:15 a.m.

Fire and school officials confirmed a faulty smoke detector was to blame for the activation, and no fire or smoke were detected or reported.

Everyone was allowed back in the building shortly after the alarm was cleared.

This story originally appeared on OBXToday.com. Read More local stories here.