The Dare County Public Works Department will run a large item pickup for the unincorporated areas of Dare County on Monday, April 4, 2022.
Residents who plan to dispose of unwanted materials during Dare County’s large item pickup should place their items on the roadside in piles that are sorted by type.
This one-pass large item pickup will take place in all unincorporated areas of Dare County, which includes the following communities:
- Martin’s Point
- Colington Island – (inside and outside the gated community)
- Roanoke Island – (unincorporated areas only)
- Mainland (East Lake, Mashoes, Stumpy Point and Manns Harbor)
- Hatteras Island (Rodanthe, Waves, Salvo, Avon, Buxton, Frisco and Hatteras)
Items accepted for collection include:
- Used auto tires
- Used motor oil (only in spill-proof containers)
- Auto radiators
- Scrap metals (rims, motor parts)
- Appliances (please remove the doors from refrigerators)
- Box springs
- Water-based paint (but it must be dried out)
All items placed must be sorted into separate piles based on their type.
The following items will not be collected:
- Old clothing and shoes
- Tree limbs, stumps, leaves and yard-clearing debris
- Construction/demolition materials (such as lumber, toilets, windows, doors, etc.)
- Boats, trailers and jet skis
- Propane tanks and fire extinguishers
- Any hazardous materials (oil-based paint, pesticides, etc.)
The Dare County Public Works Department will host a three-day household hazardous waste collection event in three separate locations May 12-14, 2022. More information will be announced soon.
All normal household trash must be disposed of within regular black trash bins.
The Dare County Public Works department also offers these instructions and restrictions for your benefit:
- Prohibited materials, mixed piles and items that are improperly sorted will not be collected.
- If the private contractor does not take an item you placed on the roadside, it has been rejected and therefore must be disposed of at your own expense.
- Please take pride in your home and respect your neighbors. Do not leave any trash at the roadside expecting it to be picked up.
- Please do not interfere with the private contractor picking up large items. If large item pickup falls on your regular trash collection day, please do not block the trash bin with any other items.
- Citizens are also asked to be mindful of any overhead power lines in their area and to avoid placing items in a location where the collection trucks could be in danger of coming into contact with them.
The Dare County Public Works Department only provides large item pickup for the unincorporated areas of Dare County. The county does not provide large item pickup for the towns of Manteo, Duck, Southern Shores, Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills or Nags Head. For information regarding large item pickup in these areas, please consult the officials in your municipality.
This story originally appeared on OBXToday.com. Read More local stories here.